Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Homeschooling the Browns?

I've been thinking a lot about homeschooling. I don't know if I will do it yet, but I just keep coming up with ideas. I've been doing little workbooks with Emma and just doing other general learning activities. If Eric and I move to California, I will probably have to, but it is really hard to do there, they are not education friendly in California. I have started recording our daily activities, so I can be ready to record what we do in our school someday.
My thoughts on homeschooling are extensive. The biggest reason I want to homeschool is because I feel like the Lord gave me these beautiful children and I want to teach and train them to live in the world, I don't want someone else to take that experience from me. It almost sickens me to think of giving my children to some else to take care of during the day. They are my divine burden and I want to except the responsibility of preparing them to live in the world. The worst reason to homeschool is, of course, the social aspect. I want my kids to make friends and be able to work with people outside of our family. I wish my kids could just go to school for recess, sports, and other activities, but I want to teach them all the good stuff at home or with homeschool groups! I'm so excited to teach my kids what a wondrous place the world is.

1 comment:

LittleBrownFamily said...

I have seriously considered homeschooling, too. I think you'd be able to do an excellent job. If you decide to run with it, let me know and I will hook you up with some things I know and have that will make your job a lot easier.
I think for me and my kids, a charter school will work wonderfully. I know my own disorganization would be a problem for me as a homeschool teacher, and I don't know how I would manage keeping a schedule during pregnancy and new babies. But I definitely DON'T want my kids in public schools.
Good luck as you prayerfully make that decision. And don't worry about the social aspect. That's not hard to overcome, esp in our church. You can arrange playdates with other mothers and stuff.